The USCOM 1A offers real-time, beat-to-beat measurements of 20 parameters of cardiovascular function.
The USCOM 1A is unique in being completely non-invasive, validated across a wide range of cardiac outputs in neonates, infants, children and adults, and is soundly patent protected.
USCOM stands for Ultrasonic Cardiac Output Monitor. It measures blood flow across the heart valves using continuous wave Doppler ultrasound. It is the only truly non-invasive, accurate system of hemodynamic measurement.
It provides the following features
- Beat-to-beat cardiac output and stroke volume
- Over 20 real-time parameters of cardiac function
- Ability to measure both justify and right sided cardiac output
In addition the USCOM 1A is:
- Simple to use
- Safe, accurate and well validated
- Can be operated by physicians, nurses and paramedics
- Cost effective with no consumables
The USCOM is a simple, accurate device to monitor and manage hemodynamics.
USCOM, taking advanced hemodynamics beyond the ICU!
USCOM 1A Transducer
USCOM has years of experience designing and developing ultrasonic devices to measure cardiac flow and uses high fidelity continuous wave Doppler to accurately measure it. Continuous wave Doppler is the most accurate and reproducible ultrasound modality with a sensitivity to change in the order of a few percent. Unlike pulsed wave Doppler, it is easy to use and more reproducible. Echocardiography, because of its primary focus on 2-D imaging, has increasingly been using highly focused beams, concentrating the power of the signal in a narrow space, in order to achieve optimal image resolution. It however, has developed a custom application of continuous wave Doppler ultrasound, using its unique divergent beam acoustics technology. This provides for a much broader ultrasonic beam, making the USCOM device easier to use and much less user-dependent than previous Doppler applications.
Uscom’s divergent beam transducer operates at a frequency of 2.2.MHz.
USCOM takes advanced hemodynamics beyond the ICU!
The USCOM 1A cardiac output monitor has a number of operating features:
- 20 non-invasive parameters
- Touch screen operation
- Simplified real-time display
- Digital Doppler signal tracing with FlowTracer
- Advanced trend mapping for simplified assessment of change
- Report formats for hard copy record keeping
- Custom cards for user preferred display of parameters
- Quick start function for emergency operation
- User defined multi-beat signal averaging
- Data transfer to spreadsheet for research analysis
- Software upgradeable
- “One touch” measure save
- Notes recording function
- Comprehensive patient history record
- Network connectable
- Multi-lingual function
- Gain, contrast and audio controls
With a large hard drive, the USCOM monitor can store tens-of-thousands of patient files.
The patient data can be saved for later diagnosis and review. This includes the Doppler flow profile image, all parameters and patient information and notes. All parameters can be displayed in a trend graph providing a vital picture of the patient’s status over time. This assists diagnosis, enables interventional guidance and assessment of the effectiveness of treatment.
The USCOM reporting engine generates patient records that can be printed to a local printer or exported to a USB flash device. Standard or customized report formats are available including views of the patient data over various time periods with and without trend graphs and Doppler flow profiles.
USCOM is a specialized ultrasound device designed for noninvasive, high fidelity measurement of cardiovascular function. These measurements can be used to assess and manage hemodynamics. USCOM is a safe, rapid, accurate and cost effective method for managing circulation. USCOM takes advanced hemodynamics beyond the ICU.
USCOM provides the following benefits to you, and your patients
- Noninvasive and safe
- All ages and all outputs – neonates to geriatrics from 0.12l/min to 18.5l/min
- Most accurate clinical method of monitoring hemodynamics
- Right and justify sided Cardiac Output
- Easy to use – Physician, nurse, paramedic or patient operated
- Advanced hemodynamics in or beyond the ICU
- Real time Stroke Volume resuscitation
- Improves management – objective Early Goal Directed Therapy
- Reduces time and cost
- Many clinical uses – anywhere you’d take a blood pressure
- Simple and quick to set up
- No consumables – cost effective
USCOM has many applications
- Emergency medicine – ED and remote (transport, military and field)
- ICU – general, surgical and post cardiac
- Heart failure
- Sports medicine
- Veterinary medicine
- Pharmacology research
USCOM uses specialized Doppler Ultrasound for measuring and monitoring hemodynamics. It provides noninvasive, accurate, real time, beat to beat, quantitative measures of cardiovascular function.
- confirm normal circulation such as during anesthesia
- Rapidly detects cardiovascular dysfunction
- Simply guides optimization of circulation – Optimize Oxygen Delivery
- Optimization of fluid management – when to start, and when to stop
- Rational drug administration (inotropes, vaso-actives) – right drug, right dose
- All patients and all outputs – 26wks gestational age to 85yrs and 0.12l/min and 18.5l/min
- Can be operated by physicians, nurses or paramedics
USCOM features include
- 20 parameters of cardiovascular function
- Right and justify side Cardiac Ouput
- Real time, beat to beat Cardiac Output and Oxygen Delivery
- Real time preload, inotropy, afterload values
- Indexed tables
- Simplified data interpretation
- Instant bedside information
- Research facilities including simple export of all data
USCOM 1A Parameters
USCOM accurately measures cardiac flow, either from the suprasternal notch, where aortic flow is measured or parasternally, where we measure flow through the pulmonary valve. By adjusting the location and angle of the USCOM transducer, the operator optimizes the signal, by following both visual and audible cues from the USCOM display. The system displays real-time, beat-to-beat data across many parameters of cardiac function using FlowTracer’s automatic signal tracking.
|Vpk:||Peak Velocity of flow|
|vti:||Velocity Time Integral|
|ET%:||Ejection Time Percent|
|SVI:||Stroke Volume Index|
|SVV:||Stroke Volume Variability|
|SVR:||Systemic Vascular Resistance|
|SVRI:||Systemic Vascular Resistance Index|
|Pmn:||Mean Pressure Gradient|
|FTc:||Flow Time Corrected|
With the addition of the OXYCOM product the following additional parameters are available:
|SVS:||Stroke Volume Saturation|
USCOM is an exciting, non-invasive device specialized for high resolution measurement of the hemodynamic circulation.
USCOM is designed to measure normal and abnormal circulation at the level of the heart and vessels. The hemodynamic information and trending can assist the physician to guide therapies such as fluid, inotropes and vaso-active drugs. USCOM is validated from 0.12 l/min to 17 l/min and from 26 weeks gestational age to 85 years. One method for all subjects in all conditions.
USCOM has many applications across multiple clinical disciplines. However there are a large number of emerging and very specific clinical problems where USCOM is useful.
|PEDIATRICS||Sepsis, resuscitation, surgery, post-surgical (cardiac and other)|
|ED||Triage, sepsis, hypotension, hemorrhage, resuscitation, heart failure and hypertension, retrieval|
|ICU||ICU post-surgical, post MI, heart failure, outreach/stepdown management, dialysis|
|ELECTROPHYSIOLOGY||Optimization of pacemaker timings (AV, VV delay)|
|LIVER TRANSPLANTATION||High blood loss surgery requires monitoring of CO|
|PREGNANCY||Eclampsia and pre-eclampsia. Often hypertension complicates pregnancy, management of this hypertension is improved by directing therapy to stroke volume/SVR information|
|ANESTHESIA||Pre-anesthesia assessment. Normal function is associated with an improved anesthetic outcome. Post-surgical recovery.|
|DRUG and DEVICE TRIALS||Any trial to assess effectiveness of a drug or device should include measurement of CO, to ensure that CO remains unaffected during implantation of a device or administration of drugs (non-cardiac drugs – cancer), or to quantify the effectiveness of cardiac drugs. Because of its high sensitivity to circulatory change, USCOM can reduce the number of subjects to achieve statistical significance, thereby reducing experimental costs|
|HEMODIALYSIS||Blood filtration is associated with a shifting fluid balance in chronic/critically ill patients so the need to optimize is crucial|
|BURNS||Burns are associated with high levels of fluid loss which can reduce CO and frequently require fluid. USCOM can guide fluid administration and optimization|
|PSYCHIATRY||Schizophrenics are commonly treated with Clozapine, which is associated with a relatively high incidence of cardiomyopathy resulting in reduced CO. The patients are generally recommended to have echocardiography performed every three months to exclude this complication.|
|HEART FAILURE CLINICS or HYPERTENSION CLINICS||Hypertension and heart failure management is improved by directing therapy to SV/SVR information.|
|USCOM is an ethical alternative to current methods of measuring circulation in animals and is highly sensitive across the range of interventions identified in humans such as fluid resuscitation, inotropes and vaso-active therapies.|
|ANIMAL RESEARCH||USCOM is an ethical alternative to current methods of measuring circulation in animals. The high sensitivity of the method increases the sensitivity of the studies, while reducing the cost of the studies and animal discomfort|